Organic Orange, Coconut Pancakes

My two year old inspired this recipe. She loves orange and coconut flavors! She made these with me recently. I prepare them in little strips and put a little cup of pure maple syrup on the plate. She loves to dip the pancake strips into the syrup. I sprinkle a little bit of powdered sugar on top. She's two, and she appreciates food that looks great on her plate too. You can check out my toddler's cooking tips at: www.CookingWithIzzy.com

Click the picture above for the pancake recipe. It's dangerously delicious!
Cheers, Danielle
You'll Need: 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1 Tbsp light brown sugar, 1 Tbsp granulated sugar, 2 tsp baking powder, pinch freshly grated nutmeg, 1/2 tsp kosher salt, 1/2 cup shredded coconut (organic if possible), 1 large organic egg, 1 cup organic low fat milk, 1/4 cup unsalted butter (melted), 1/4 tsp vanilla, 2 tsp + 1 Tbsp freshly squeezed organic orange juice, 1 tsp pure orange extract
Use a Reamer to get the Fresh Juice
How to prepare: In a large preparation bowl, whisk all of the dry ingredients together, including the coconut. In a separate preparation bowl, crack the egg and whisk it. Add the remaining wet ingredients to the egg and whisk together. Whisk all of the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients bowl until all of the flour lumps are gone and you have a smooth consistency. Using a medium size ladle, pour the pancake batter onto a heated skillet or a large sauté pan.* I spray my surface with butter flavored non-stick spray before using it. You can use butter, oil or spray. Once you see bubbles starting to form about every 1/4" on the pancake, using a spatula, flip the pancakes and let them sit for an equal amount of time on the opposite side. Transfer cooked pancakes to a tortilla warmer or to a platter covered with towels to keep warm. Serve with heated pure maple syrup. You can serve as whole pancakes or slice them into strips. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and garnish with a couple of orange slices. Enjoy.
Have fun in the Kitchen!

*I make these with my toddler, so I heat up a skillet that plugs in (away from the stove). I let her help me pour the batter in. I reinforce the importance of "not touching" the hot skillet. She learns to follow instructions. She's great in the kitchen!

CLICK HERE - to return to Home Page
CLICK HERE - to return to Breakfast Dishes